Tuesday, December 4, 2007

22/06/07 Arzua to Pedrouzo (Arca)

22/06/07






Arzua to Pedrouzo (Arca)

I left the Albergue Laxtia and found my way to the square and the café that I have always used for breakfast. As always a great array of scrumptious cakes were on the bar and I selected one full of chocolate and ordered my usual café con leche. No one I knew came in so I set off as soon as I had drunk the coffee. I was feeling pretty horrible with running nose and eyes. I have travelled this road many times now and in my mood saw little new. My mind kept turning over what I should do on getting to Santiago. I was hoping I'd meet a friend somewhere to walk into Santiago with. I hated the thought of arriving on my own, but that was to be tomorrow. I had decided to stop at Arca today, as I was definitely not fit enough to do the 34 kilometres to Monte de Gozo and I had stopped there once before and never liked it. I didn't like Arca either but I had some great memories of friends met there so maybe I would meet someone there again or on the way today. It was about 20 kilometres and it became obvious I was very poorly and should perhaps call it quits and go home. Maisie had a new mobile phone and she was doing a lot of text messages to find how it worked while I was walking very slowly. To be honest I really don't remember much. What with the constant sneezing and nose wiping, and from now on I was just very vague, in a dream state and just couldn't remember things, like peoples names where I had met them, or place names! I do remember I bent and picked two clovers, one a four and one five leaf, as I stood up again I was hoping my luck would get better. I was on the last three or four kilometres to Arca and coming down the hill towards the first private albergue, which I had stopped at on my first camino. Two Canadian peregrina ladies came round the corner so I presented them with the four-leaf clover but kept the five to boost my own spirit and good luck. They were thrilled, they had never seen one before and their tiredness seemed to leave them and they soon left me way behind. I passed the albergue, but it wasn't open yet and I went on to the next. That too was not open and I hate sitting with my rucksack waiting, so I continued on down to the bottom and up the hill into the town to the other that I had used several times before. I found this open and crowded with folk booking in. I was issued with a bunk and found it upstairs in a window recess. The bed was filthy and stained with blotches of iodine where people had seen to their blisters yuk! I would unpack my sleeping bag and hopefully use that and the sheet bag to insulate me a little from whatever lay, walked or crawled there. I took a shower, well that is to say, I entered turned on the tap, got hit by a jet of freezing cold water, slipped and stubbed the bad toe on the shower base swore, dried and changed and went for a drink! Everything changes I grumbled to myself as I noticed seeing the outside terrace where I had met a particularly good friend Lisa last time. It had now been incorporated into the inside of the bar making that bigger. I continued up the road and wandered round hoping to find someone I knew. I found Horst a German chap I had seen a lot and liked very much, we always gave a rousing high five on meeting! I joined him for a beer but he was with his friends and that meant they all had to speak English while I was there and that was hard for some. Renate another German lady was there too, we also had met several times. I soon left them and found a nice bar to eat in later but could get nothing much now and returned to the albergue to rest. I ate at that bar later and returned for the night feeling quite awful.
Text Maisie:- Thinking hard about how 2 get home as soon as pos. C how 2moro is
Maisie came back with.:- B good u cum home soon




END DAY 38 = approx. 18.8 km Sub Total = 594.7 km Total = 926.8 km